I debated on whether or not to publish the previous post (A Perfect Day) because I don't want to make it sound as if our days are filled with absolute perfection, day in and day out. Sooo not the case.
So I thought I would sieze the opportunity and talk about a few 'imperfections' we are battling right now. You may have heard of them......you know......the terrible two's? Since 'terrible' sounds a bit dramatic, let's fluff it up and call them 'taxing' or 'trying' two's.
I was inundated with the "Trying Twos" about the week she turned two, ironic enough. Some 'trying' behaviors that I speak of include:
-hitting
-defiance (ex: "Aves please don't dump that out". Looks right atcha.....DUMP!)
-refusing anything and everything (We joke that the word of the year is "no", it has such a new meaning now than it did when she first spoke it as a baby.)
-frustration with others leading to physical aggression (i.e. pushing, hitting)
-day-to-day tasks, like putting on a diaper, are 'taxing'
Sooo, I know these behaviors are normal as they seek boundaries and figure out the world around them. And as for Ryan and I, we are reading, talking, researching, asking questions, etc. all related to how to handle this. It is slowly getting better and of course we have our setbacks, but I have to remind myself that she is TWO (thanks Amanda). It's going to happen and we just have to be prepared and consistent, which is really helping. I actually set up a modified behavior management chart (don't laugh) that she really understood. Stickers were rewards for listening to mommy (our biggest need at that point) and once she got that, it helped. I can't help it, it's the teacher in me, poor girl.
However, the mother in me knows that this is the same girl who is pushing a friend one moment is giving bear hugs the next. And the same girl who hits the cat one moment and in the next is telling him "I sorry Boo". She can go from an upper-cut (a little exaggerated) to a eskimo kiss all in a matter of minutes.
Once we get through this, she's going to be fine, absolutely fine.
I know it.
(Although I *hear* 3's are even more taxing, ::wink, wink:: Jill and Kara)
7 comments:
Thanks for this post....we tend to blog a lot and not mention the trying things our children do day-to-day, this sounds exactly like my dear Branson. Good to hear I am not alone:)
We are right there with you on the "trying" twos. It's like she changed overnight as soon as she turned two! "No" definitely is the word of the year at our house also!
Ah.. Meghan, this really made me laugh maybe alittle with relief because Hannah has the same list. Let me know more about the sticker chart! =0 Poor teacher kids indeed because they have an ususual amount of teachers in their lives.
You sound JUST LIKE ME!!! I'm the same way you are as far as behavior charts, etc. Drew was a much better two year old than three year old. I would agree in that the three's are definitely more taxing and trying!
It's very hard, but remember those perefect days when you are having a not so perfect one!
Aww...we'll be there with Z soon enough! So far *knock on wood* he seems more mellow (as far as behavior is concerned)--something about him HAD to be easier, didn't it? ;-)
I'll let you know how 4 is once we get there! LOL
I feel your frustrations with a lot of these behaviors. I try to keep telling myself it will soon pass...though when you are going through it, it sure doesn't seem like it! I've heard from people 3 seems to be tougher too - I am trying not to pay attention to them though ;)
Ahhh, the joys of Parenthood! Has anyone told you about age 4?! That is where we are right now....
Post a Comment