Monday, March 2, 2009

My Tummy Girl

Tummy Girl by Roseanne Thong

Ava and I both love reading this book together. It makes her smile from page to page and it makes me cry every. single. time. It encompasses everything we've experienced with Ava in the past 2 years and will continue to enjoy, no doubt.

So, my lovely little girl, as you approach your 2nd birthday, here are some pictures reflecting on who you are in the whole two years that you've been on this Earth. The most blissful years that daddy and I have ever experienced.

Once there was a tummy girl...

....A full-of-warm-milk yummy girl,

A round-and-jiggly tummy girl,

Pink-as-a-piggly tummy girl,

Who loved to cuddle up and curl.


Once there was a bubble girl...

A getting-into-trouble girl,

A sudy, wudsy bubble girl,

A washing-off-the-mudsy girl,

Who made the water swish and swirl.



Once there was a hiding girl...

A dash-from-mommy's side-ing girl,

A crawl-behind-the-curtain girl,

Beneath the chair, for CERTAIN girl,

Who scampered off just like a squirrel.
Once there was a waddling girl...

A teeter-totter toddling girl,

An "I can do it!" waddling girl,

A wrapped-in-cotton-swaddling girl,

Whose diapers started to unfurl.

Once there was a feeding girl...

While-mom-and-dad-were-reading girl,

A nice-big-spoonful-munching girl,

A drippy, milky, crunching girl,

Who stirred her breakfast with a swirl. Once there was a running girl...

An in-the-rain-and-sunning girl,

A racing -through-the-thickets girl,

A chasing-bugs-and-crickets girl,

Who loved to dash and dart and whirl.
Once there was a swinging girl...

An "I'm so high. I'm singing" girl,

A try-to-reach-the-rooftops girl,

A love-to-feel-the-raindrops girl,

Whose [short blonde] hair would spring and curl.
Once there was a dancing girl...

A stomping, bomping, prancing girl,

A two-step, three-step dancing girl,

A "you and me step" dancing girl,

Who loved to skip and jump and twirl.

Once there was a treetop girl...

As-far-as-she-could-see-top girl,

A lovely-place-for-snacking girl,

A nothing-here-is-lacking girl,

Who made the branches bend and curl.

Once there was a dressing girl...

Who-always-kept-us-guessing girl,

A-fancy-hat-and-sundress girl,

A flashing, dashing, fun-dress girl,

Whose face was just like a precious pearl.



Soon you'll be my older girl,

A taller-than-my-shoulder girl,

An "I can do it!" older girl,

A bigger, braver, bolder girl.

And though you'll grow up in a whirl...


...You'll always be my tummy girl.

12 comments:

SpunkyToes said...

Adorable Adorable Adorable. So precious. Love the sounds of that book and I may need to pick it up soon. Very cute post!

Bonnie said...

I love this post! I am bawling, btw!

Hannah said...

Miss Ava,
What a keepsake your Mommy has made for you!!! You are so fortunate to be her tummy girl!

kdkate said...

Oh my gosh, I am completely bawling over here. I love that story - I must go pick it up for Kiley. And those pics of Ava are too cute for words.

Richard and Sarah said...

i blog hop from aidric and juliet's blog and enjoy reading about little ava. my little tummy girl is 20 months and i'm crying right now! thanks for sharing. i'll absolutely be getting this book to read with grace.

4Hoffman's said...

So absolutely precious! I can't believe Miss Ava is about to be 2!! Where does the time go!!??!! (((HUGS))) to all of you!

Amanda said...

UGH! LOVE THIS!! :-)

beth said...

Awww, I love this!! That is such a sweet book too!

melissa said...

Happy Almost Birthday Aves...
We love you and we must get Pais this book! So sweet and we love the flashback pics!
xoxo,
M and P

Sisters Lose 100 said...

This is so sweet I had a few tears after reading this poem!!

E.M. said...

This is an amazing post. So sweet! I'm almost crying, but smiling more!

Brad and Katrina said...

SO super sweet! Thanks for sharing!