Monday, August 17, 2009

It's Official...

Ava is sleeping in her Big Girl Bed! Last night was night 3 of the official transition and she actually slept in her bed all night long.

There is a little backstory.

About a week ago on Sunday, mommy had a plan, I decided that we should at least *try* to convert Ava's crib into a big girl bed using the rails we purchased when we bought the crib. Aves has been mentioning sleeping in a big girl bed, though never insisted, but was aware that she was still in a crib and would go to a big girl bed eventually, for awhile now.

So Ryan and I assembled it, only putting on one rail (so easy) and Ava was so, so excited; jumping up and down on her bed. That night, it was a little rough. Although using the word rough is a little misleading, because bedtime in general (big girl bed or not) is rough in our house. It only took a handful of times to show her to stay in her room. She is allowed to get up, as long as she is in her room, but she cannot come out and have free reign all over the house. We explained that to her, for her own safety, and she seemed alright with it. So, that took about 45 minutes. Not bad. Seriously, not bad at all for us.

She never made it into her bed and slept on the floor, or the rocker, until about 1:00 am or so and called me to come in. I went in there and ended up sleeping on her floor with her. Thank goodness I have many a friend whose child has gone through this (re: sleeping on the floor) so I knew that it was "normal" or "expected".

The next night was a lot tougher and I flat out asked her what she wanted....crib or big girl bed. When she answered crib, I was not shocked, and was in fact prepared, and we just turned her bed around so the crib rails were out and not against the wall. Perfect. It was all in my plan.

Now we have no reason to push the transition, so that is why I didn't want it to be traumatic. She wanted the crib, she can surely have it. But, I also know my independent little girl.

Putting a formula together.....

Having the exposure to such freedom at your finger tips (+) an emergent free thinker (+) the ability to do what you please within the confines of your own bedroom (-) it all being taken away = a little girl who undoubtedly will want to sleep in a big girl bed on her own terms....and soon!

It took about 2 nights of no big girl bed and on Thursday night, Ava told us that she wanted to sleep in her big girl bed. We had a serious heart-to-heart about the "rules" and not being able to turn the bed back into a crib again. She agreed.

So the transition was complete. I am happy to report that she now sleeps in her bed, not on the floor or the rocker, and she couldn't be happier. Bedtime in general is still not as easy as "goodnight, we love you", but it hasn't been lately, and she knows that she stays in her room and doesn't abuse her priviledge (so far, I'm not saying it won't happen).
And what an ADORABLE little bed it is! We will be putting up the other rail soon.

5 comments:

SpunkyToes said...

Good job Ava! Adorable room.

Hannah said...

Way to go Ava!! I am so proud of your big girl bed status. And what a great idea Meghan for just turning the bed around. Love it! So clever!

4Hoffman's said...

Super cute! We're going to attempt it again with Austin, as he is climbing OUT of his crib now! UGH! Last time we tried the "big boy" bed the freedom was too much for him! LOL!! CONGRATS on a pretty smooth transition!

Andrea said...

Her room is so sweet! No wonder she never tries to get out- I would want to stay and play in there, too! Congrats!

E.M. said...

What a big girl, Ava!!