Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What a day......

It's just one of those days. We were busy as bees, but I find myself at the end of the day asking just what exactly we did. But then I remember that an ordinary day for us might be atypical for another family. So this evening, while we were outside enjoying some sprinkler time, I mentally went through our day, sent a pic to daddy and wanted it chronicled, with all its' mayhem, because I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I was awoken this morning about 7:30(this is going to be a good day already, I love any uprising after 7:25 am. Seriously. A good day. ) to Ava singing "Skid-a-ma-rink-a-dink-a-dink" at the top of her lungs in bed.

I am greeted by a grinning girl asking, "did I sleep good?".

We make our way to Griff's room, as he is always awake at this time, he just isn't so vocal about it and waits patiently for his sissy to open the door. She insists on entering first. So sweet.

No poopy diaper. That's good. We listen to Griffin's snowman sing a winter song a few times while he is distracted and gets a diaper change. Ava is talking ninety-to-nothing. I must remain positive. I must remain content. I'm just NOT a morning person, seriously ask anyone in my family or my husband, it just takes me awhile to wake up. I prefer silence. Silence, however, is inconceivable to my four year old. And that's okay. I've learned the correct facial gestures, intonation and voice inflection to camouflage my grogginess. In my defense, it isn't fake, per se, it's really me....the me after I've had some breakfast and get my energies (as Ava would say) going! Some days, it does require coffee.

We play in the playroom. Griff is starting to whine. Of course he is, he's hungry. Ava just follows suit. I seriously love this girl. She is filled with eagerness for our day. It's contagious and part of the recipe that can cure my case of the mornings.

Time for breakfast. Ava wants an English muffin with peanut butter. She insists on making a face on it. She chooses blueberries and wants nothing else. The blueberries are too tart for her liking. I suggest banana. Yes, banana, that will do. Scarfs it up. Griffin eats the other half, along with his milk, blueberries and strawberries. It's Greek yogurt and a dollop of honey and blueberries for me. A side of oj and I'm ready to go.

How is it only 8:15? Well, we've got swim lessons and a play date today, but it's time for an activity. Koolaid play dough. Have you made this stuff? It's fantastic! Great aroma and easy, smooth handling. We love it so much, we make 3 batches over the stove. Ava chooses purple first. Make. Roll. Wash pot. Next is orange. Make, Roll (ouch! it's hot!). Wash pot. Last it's red. Ooooh, it turned pink. Ava loves. Make. Roll. Wash. Dishes are piling up. Forget about the dishes. I loathe dishes. And my disdain is not because they are sitting out and causing clutter in the sink. It's the actual cleaning part that I dislike, hence they stay sitting out.

We play play dough. Griff likes it too! You know what comes next. Griff eats it! Let's get him cleaned up from breakfast and play dough dessert. I love this guy. He sat this entire time in his highchair watching us make play dough. Ava chooses 3 cookie cutters- a flower, a star and a heart and uses them with each color; sorts them onto plates and is in awe of her work. She's so proud.

Uh-oh, it's 9:15 and we've got to get going to run to get goggles at Target before swim lessons, as I'm hoping this will lessen the trauma from yesterdays lesson. Right after swimming we have a play date coming over to our house. Good thing I cleaned on Sunday. Oh wait, it's Tuesday. Hmmm, do a little sweepy sweep, plug in the Scentsy and we are good to go.

Target yields a money-pit-kind-of-trip, what's new? But we did need a new brush, as mine has been missing for a week. Yes, I haven't technically brushed my hair for a week. Good thing it's straight. And we did need new hair bandies? Huh? How did I get conned into that one? Pink goggles are picked out and the anxiety of swim lessons approaching seems to subside. For now. Griffin is getting tired. After all, he usually naps right now. But, what are you gonna do? We have swim lessons. I bribe him with a free cookie. Yes, he already knows the bribes and is familiar with the cookie section at target. I can rationalize the cookie I've provided him because it is something cold and hard to gnaw on while he gets those darn canines. Those were worse than the molars for Ava and it looks to be the same for Griffin. Ava is happy as a clam to have picked out her goggles and hair bandies. Let's check out!

On our way to swim lessons Ava realizes that she forgot to try to potty before leaving the house. Good thing Miss Cheryl lives a block away from us, we can swing by the house for her to potty. Our ride home is filled with deep thoughts and inquiries. Oh how I do love our car rides. Lots of discoveries and convos are made in the car.

Once at swim lessons, Ava hops right in to show Miss Cheryl her new goggles. Miss Cheryl loves that they are pink and Ava is beaming. Pink like her classmates goggles, also. It's going to be a good lesson, I can feel it. Griffin is enamoured by the dog that has joined us on Mrs. Cheryl's back porch. Panting (Griffin that is) and pointing, he just wants to touch that sweet pup. Oh, what's that? A lizard? WOW! Today's science lesson was brought to you by swim coach Cheryl and her magnificent back yard. Ava overhears us talking about the lizard and peers over the side of the pool to catch the buzz, always in the know, that girl. Lessons are going great. No screaming and crying because she had to go under water. No, not today. In fact, she embraces the three second adventure and savors in the confidence that is(subconsciously) being built for tomorrow and the next. It's the goggles. It has to be the goggles. Thank goodness we bought the goggles.

It's 11:00. It's seriously 11:00? Time to head home to meet Kasey, Tyler and their mommy. I try to pick up the house some more. It looks pretty good. I just have to shut the laundry room door to disguise my half-hearted attempt at getting a few loads in. I feed Griffin early lunch because he needs a nap as soon as possible. Ava and Kasey play with the play dough. I'm smiling on the inside, feeling super-mommish, that I've made 3 batches of play dough THIS morning AND it's being used with great interest and enthusiasm. I throw together some lunch for the kids. Griffin poops. And Griffin is pooped. I excuse myself to go change a dipe and put him down. He goes down without a fight. Hey, I might try this one nap at 12:30 everyday. Let's just see how long he naps for, though.

Ava, Kasey, Tyler, Jacquie and myself play until 2:30. Sleeping fairies, blocks, arts and crafts, marker all over faces and arms. Kasey doesn't want to leave, who could blame her. But Tyler has to nap. We had a great time and decide we should do this more often. Pool play date tomorrow? Hmmm, I don't know if I'm ready to conquer the pool with two quite yet. There's a school play date next week, we'll probably do that.

Aves and I play with that play dough yet again. Can I get another super mom? We made "spaghetti and meatballs" for daddy. Scratch that, she says it's for Ava's granddaughter? Wha? Oh, in her "Tulsa family". This is her make believe family that she's had for a few years now. Don't ask. It's all in fun and Ryan and I have fun with it. Especially when we go to Tulsa for real and ask her if we can visit her "Tulsa family". Coincidentally they aren't there that time or they've moved. Strange.

It's 3:00. Griffin is awake. I'm kind of ready for a break from the play dough and I miss my Griffers. As does sissy. We make our grand entrance, sissy in the lead, into his room. Another poopy diaper! Griff thinks this is funny. It kind of is.

It has become an automatic transition to migrate from Griffin's room into the playroom anytime he wakes up from sleeping. So that's what we do. Play some more. I can't recall what we played today, but it could have been Mommy/baby, balls, or school as those seem to be our regulars.

I've got to get up and out. Let's go play in our Shamu pool! Yes! I'm already exhausted though by the time I get everyone in their bathing suits and lathered up with sunscreen. What was I thinking? Ava does her own, but looks like Casper, so I have to tend to that again. Griff fights the hat. Nope, you gotta wear the hat. Have you seen your coloring, little man? It's mommy all over again, you have GOT to wear your hat. Trust me on this. Hat stays on with enough distraction. We put on some Disney tunes and play it up in the pool. Ava decides to splash water in faces, which puts me in a grumpy mood. I'm trying my hardest to stay patient. Deep breaths. We eat snacks. Griff stuffs his face so full that he can barely chew. That which got digested, ended up coming back up onto the concrete, only to be RE-eaten. Gross. Ava gets a kick out of this. As do I. Sorry, Griff.

Ryan is out of town, which doesn't happen too often and I find myself counting down the minutes until bedtime. But I stop. I take a look around and the idea of documenting my day has spawned. I take a few pictures.

After we've had enough water time, we head in. I've got to move the slide back, after all, the mowers will be here tomorrow. Empty the pool, clean the toys out of the yard, dry off and head inside. It's about 4:30. It's time for a little TV. Griffin doesn't get TV yet (can I admit that I've tried?) and Ava will settle for it, but doesn't really love it (thank goodness). I mean, it's just not her go-to, but she watches it. I like the word settles. She settles for it.

Dinner is prepared. I think of all the single moms out there. I commend them in my mind. As I'm steaming the squash and sauteing the mushrooms, I know my kids won't eat much of this. I still will make a healthy dinner, though. For me. And for them. They will at least get to see how pretty it is.

Bath time. "Yay, it's bath time, splashy-splashy bath time" Ava sings. Griffin bounces with excitement. He has graduated to being in the bath with sissy without any restraints. It's a careful and well-watched experiment, but it's going great. And it's fun. Ava pees in the tub. Gah! Time for Griffin to get out.

Naked playtime. Silly playtime. Absorbing playtime. Together playtime.

Jammies and night night for Griffin. Ava watches Tink while I rock Griffin. She sneaks in his room just to give him a goodnight kiss. Amazing. Love these kids. He goes down without a fight. It's 6:30. Ava and I play mommy/baby with the magnetic dolls. I'm the baby, she's the mommy. Bossy Bosserson is out in full force, dictating my every wardrobe change and accessory choice. Fuuuuuun!

Time for reading. Kindness counts. A princess book. Go figure. But hey, it's reading. Brush teeth. Stay for a few more minutes. Rub my back. I can't reach my light. I need a kissing hand. One more kiss. Sweet dreams. It's now 8:15 pm.

I want to revel in this life for as long as I can. Whiny, hungry babies pulling at my pant leg. Ornery, sassy preschoolers giving me a run for my money (or lack thereof). It's a great life. Ryan and I were discussing this over dinner this past weekend, celebrating our 7 year wedding anny (Shout out! Woo! Woo!). We have worked hard to get where we are and also have been blessed beyond belief. We don't say it or think it enough. But looking at these tired, hungry, yet HEALTHY and BEAUTIFUL children, I DO remember on this day to think it and to say it. I text Ryan and tell him I'd have it no other way. He agrees. What a day. And tomorrow will be no different. And that's exactly how I want it.

3 comments:

Kate said...

this is a PERFECT post! we've been struggling w/ 4 yr old attitude lately, and this is a timely reminder to enjoy that...because it's fleeting! <3

Keri said...

ahhhhh! so happy you are happy..... so much to chat about! miss you to pieces megs!
Happy anniversary. love to aves and griff!
:)
ker

E.M. said...

Beautiful post! Sometimes we do need to stop and "think it and do it." Happy Anniversary!