Monday, August 9, 2010

From Caterpillar to Butterfly

Thanks to our dear friends, Kelly and Hannah, Ava received a neat educational present for her 3rd birthday. We just got around to reading about it and experimenting with it. It was a kit where you order caterpillars and once you receive them you watch them grow and grow and grow, form the chrysalis, and emerge as butterflies. We were all fascinated with watching them grow and change.

Of the 5 caterpillars we received, one was DOA, 3 made it to the chrysalis stage, and only one actually completed the entire life cycle and emerged as a butterfly. It could be the numerous times they were dropped and/or shaken, but who knows.

Here is a picture documentary of our Science experiment from caterpillar to butterfly.











3 comments:

SpunkyToes said...

What a great little project. I'm sure
he will live a happy butterfly life.

Sarah said...

What fun! I've raised them in my classroom and it's always a fun experience!

Hannah said...

Oh no! I am sad you had such luck with your butterflies. At least one made it. Right? I am surprised, because after leaving our caterpillars in the hot mailbox for about 4 days, all 5 still emerged as butterflies. Next time, you need to abuse them even more. =-)