Thursday, March 3, 2011

A letter to Ava

Let me preface this by saying that the majority of my thoughts are going to sound a bit cliche, but I don't know how else to describe the fact that you are turning FOUR years old and time has gone WAY too fast (see?, cliche #1).



It's the Eve of your Fourth Birthday and I'm beside myself wondering where the time went (cliche #2, okay, I'll stop counting now.), Ava. You have grown into this beautiful, charming little girl right before my eyes, but I can vividly, VIVIDLY remember when you were just an infant, a baby, a toddler. Blessing us beyond words to have you in our lives and changing life as we know it. You are truly, genuinely one of a kind. I know I'm your mom and I'm supposed to say that, but you honestly have me pondering, on a daily basis, how I am so lucky to have you.



Yesterday you told me that you are not going to college. Yep, that's right. You made up your mind and you don't want to go to college. When I asked you why, you told me because you always want to be with me and never leave. I just needed to write this down because in about 10 years, believe me, I will want to remind you of this conversation. "And besides", you went on to say, "I already emptied out my collge bag." You see, prior to your new-found decision, you sporadically decided one day to pack a bag for college. In the life of a 3, as Daddy and I say, what isn't sporadic? So your bag contained all the essentials one would need, at 3 mind you, to go to college: a Barbie car, a toothbrush with a toothy timer, clothes, B.B., Lolli your stuffed giraffe, and other odds and ends, er, I mean "essentials". And now, it's been emptied. So your not going to college and staying with me forever. Note taken.



This year brought about a whirlwind of change for you and gave you a new role that will forever help define you. Sister. Yes, and my oh my, what a great sister you are, Ava. I am amazed when I sit back and watch you interact with baby brother Griffin. You are so thoughtful, caring, patient, loving and capable. You are MY teacher. Truly, I watch and listen to you and you teach ME about the person I want to be. How does that happen? It does and it has.



I came across a quote that a friend posted the other day and it summarized for me, my thoughts on how I feel about who you are and how impactful you are in my life.



"Motherhood is about raising and celebrating the child you have, not the child you thought you would have. It's about understanding that she is exactly the person she is supposed to be. And that, if you're lucky, she just might be the teacher who turns you into the person you are supposed to be." ~The Water Giver~

And to that, my darling little girl, I say "Cheers!" to my little individual. I couldnt be more pleased with the person that you are. Congratulations on turning four years old. I can't wait to continue to watch you grow and blossom. Even if you ARE still under our roof for the next 50 years. Truly.

With all the love I have,
Mommy (yes, I'm still mommy to you)



































































2 comments:

Hannah said...

Happy Birthday Ava!!! Love the quote Meghan. It is so true!!!!:-). Xoxo

Hannah said...

Happy Birthday Ava!!! Love the quote Meghan. It is so true!!!!:-). Xoxo