Ava starting preschool was a long-awaited, almost dreadful (for me-I'll be honest) milestone that we approached this week. She will only go for 2 days a week from 9-2. That seemed like a long time to me, but after trying it out, it will work very well with our schedule. Tuesday was orientation/open house. Ryan and I took her to her classroom and stayed for a few minutes. She couldn't care less that we were there. We told her we'd be back in a while and said goodbye. She ignored us. She was fine. Once we came back, after an hour or so, and she saw us outside the door, she started to whimper. She did great!
I appreciate that the philosophy at our preschool, "work is planned with a process rather than product emphasis, which fosters a sense of accomplishment and pride." I look forward to her future masterpieces and learning in general, as this learning style is absolutely Ava's style. She doesn't learn well under rigidity and regulations. As I've posted before, I've shown her activities and she'll come up with her "own" way to do them. Afterall, there is never a "right" way, and she is proof-positive of this. I can remember doing a "Wheels on the Bus" activity with her at about 18 months and I cut out all of the items we sing about: wipers, horn, wheels, etc. She insisted, insisted that we add a pig and a sheep to the bus. So of course I had to make those.
On a side note, I was the total opposite as a child. I needed and thrived on work being "right" and following rules. It's is captivating how each individual child learns differently. Something of which I knew as a teacher, but now as a parent, I can appreciate it much more.
If Ava is told buttons and blocks aren't supposed to be mixed, she simply will not be interested in the activity and move on. When she is told that blocks belong over here, seperate from buttons, I can tell she wonders why? Why can't I play with blocks and buttons together? In fact, some of her most imaginative and creative play comes from mixing and playing with things that are not "supposed to be this" or "used for that". She'll take spoons and pretend they are balloons; holding, er...flying them high above her head, step stools and torn up pieces of toilet paper are birthday cakes, turkey basters are lollipops that are licked on during another activity. Anyway, I digress.
When looking at preschools, like every parent, I just wasn't sure which philosophy I wanted Ava exposed to: curriculum-based, play-based, combination, etc. After a lot of thought about my individual child, I am grateful that Ava's learning style is very much aligned with the preschool's philosophy that children should learn through play and take a "hands-on" approach. They have set up a schedule that is a good balance of structure and free choice. Also, there is a strong emphasis on routine, which will also be very beneficial and comforting.
Ava decided that she wanted to do stamp work on that morning. She was so proud of her "EI-O" artwork that when I walked in she raced over to grab it from her cubby to show me.
Btw, I am loving our reuseable snack bags from WasteNotSaks, thanks from a recommendation from one of my "virtual" friends and the idea to use them from Jill.
When I picked her up, she was sound asleep. She loved that she got to wake up to me rubbing her back. She kept telling me how surprised she was. It was so peaceful in her room. Kuddos to the teachers for getting eight 2 year olds to sleep so easily. WOW!
So all in all, a great experience. I'm sure it will take some adjustment for both of us, but we are so pleased with Ava's success!
6 comments:
So glad she did well!
SO cute! She looks like such a big girl!
what a great first day!!! and kudos to you for doing your research and finding the perfect place for Ava!
Way to go Ava (and mommy). Glad she is enjoying it.
It is great to hear preschool is going so smooth for you. I felt happiness and sadness just reading this post, as our girls are getting so BIG so fast!
Missed you today!!
Adorable pics! So glad that she did so well!
Post a Comment